Monday, July 9, 2012

Recycling Old Crates Into Side Tables



I found these old crates up at my family's ranch. I thought it was so cool that they had "Timbuktu Station" branded into the wood on two sides. So I picked out a couple of them and decided to board up one side and turn them into side tables. I cut 2x4s down so they could be laid across the top in a wood slat position. I sanded down any excessively rough edges, and then used wood glue to fix them into place. I burned a "Timbuktu Station" logo similar to the brand across the top using my craft wood burner. Then I used a satin finish lacquer to seal in the design and give it that clean finish. I then followed that up by drilling in black screws along the top to give it a nice trim. This project was a lot of fun!

Monday, June 11, 2012

Stable Identification Signs




I acquired a beautiful Thoroughbred mare a little over a year ago. Her name is "Squirrel". After moving her to a boarding facility near my home I decided I needed to make her a very pretty name plate sign. After putting it up the trainer there fell in love with it and wanted one for her horse too! It has turned into a very fun series of side projects.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Rustic Pine Coffee Table & Blanket Cabinet



This Coffee Table was designed and built by me. It has double hinged sides that both open to reveal ample storage space for blankets and such within. This was a large project. While I was in the 'design' phase I really learned a lot about good design versus bad design choices. It was also the first time I had ever gone to the extent of sanding, staining and lacquering one of my wooden creations. Ultimately I was very pleased with the final product.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Rocket Risks Work Book - 2011

 This is a work book I designed for a local Las Vegas author, and friend of mine, Mary McElhattan. This book is designed to be a companion book to her novel "Rocket Risks". This book was published by Motor Mouth Publishing in the summer of 2011. The cover art was designed in Adobe Illustrator and the book content design and layout was done in Adobe In-Design.